Friday 29 June 2012

Research and Planning- Deconstruction of a music video. Genre


I have started some research into music videos and i have done a deconstruction of the music video "Bat Country" by Avenged Sevenfold. I have chosen this music video because it is a great example of conventions in a rock/metal music video and because it has links to film aswell.

Song Research:- (sourced from wikipedia)

"Bat Country" is the title of a song by American metal band Avenged Sevenfold. The song was released in August 2005 as the second single from their third album, City of Evil. Avenged Sevenfold won 'Best New Artist' at the 2006 MTV Video Music Awards for "Bat Country" and on October 1, 2009, the single was certified gold by the RIAA.
Here are the lyrics to the song so that you can get an understanding of the overall theme:

"He who makes a beast out of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man"

Caught here in a fiery blaze, won't lose my will to stay.
I tried to drive all through the night,
the heat stroke ridden weather, the barren empty sights.
No oasis here to see, the sand is singing deathless words to me.

Can't you help me as I'm startin' to burn (all alone).
Too many doses and I'm starting to get an attraction.
My confidence is leaving me on my own (all alone).
No one can save me and you know I don't want the attention.

As I adjust to my new sights the rarely tired lights will take me to new heights.
My hand is on the trigger I'm ready to ignite.
Tomorrow might not make it but everything's all right.
Mental fiction, follow me; show me what it's like to be set free.

Can't you help me as I'm startin' to burn (all alone).
Too many doses and I'm starting to get an attraction.
My confidence is leaving me on my own (all alone).
No one can save me and you know I don't want the attention.

So sorry you're not here I've been sane too long my vision's so unclear.
Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem.

Caught here in a fiery blaze, won't lose my will to stay.
These eyes won't see the same, after I flip today.

Sometimes I don't know why we'd rather live than die,
we look up towards the sky for answers to our lives.
We may get some solutions but most just pass us by,
don't want your absolution cause I can't make it right.
I'll make a beast out of myself, gets rid of all the pain of being a man.

Can't you help me as I'm startin' to burn (all alone).
Too many doses and I'm starting to get an attraction.
My confidence is leaving me on my own (all alone).
No one can save me and you know I don't want the attention.

So sorry you're not here I've been sane too long my vision's so unclear.
Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem.
I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart.
Scared but you can follow me I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.


Overall this video is a mixture between a narrative and performance clip. The video starts with words reading 'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man", that rev ups  on a blck screen in time with the diegetic sound of a car reving it's engine. The clip cut to a shot of yellow lines and the sound of car wheels screeches, then transforms into the scram of the lead vocalist. This is called a sound bridge. The clip cuts to a shot of the vocalist singing and there are quick cutts to show a red convertable driving uncontrollably through the barran desert of Las Vegas. The camera movements are quick and disorientating, giving an impression of being drunk or high on drugs. There is more quick cuts showing the bands members in  the car which then cuts to a wide shot of th band playing in a motel  room. The lighting is quite dark with a tinge of green to add a sickly, confused atmosphere. The footage is in high contrast. As the music is quite up tempo the cuts are quick to reflect this. Cuts are kept in time with the beat. Special effects are use to sho the overall theme of hallucinating and being on drugs, which are also mentioned in the lyrics. Some of the footage freezes in times with the drum beats, which then cuts to a new shot.
Band members in the background are spead up  to add a hyped effect. There are examples of the male gaze as there are women in revealing clothing dancing in the background. There is a contrast between the women in the motel and a woman depicyed dancing in the streets, as she is quite plump and very theatrical whereas the women in the motel are young, slim and wearing "sexy" clothing. This can be a surprise for the audience. When the music slows down, the footage is also slowed down and there is a lot of dissolve cuts which gives the effect of blurred vision and a confused state. There are some promotional aspects when there are shots show of the band's logo, that are interjected into scenes on props that are relevant to the theme of Las Vegas.

The overall theme of this video is of the pull to lose control in Las Vegas, ending with a shot of  a road sign reading "Drive Carefully, Come Back Soon'. This adds a comical element and contrasts with the clip of the band driving recklessly. This video has links that are based on the film "Fear and loathing in Las Vegas" such as the bats in the desert sky and a member of the band hitting them with a fly swatter, and the overall hullucinations.

No comments:

Post a Comment