Friday 25 January 2013

Research and Planning- Conventions of my chosen genre in the album cover.

As we are creating an album cover for our music video I have looked at the codes and conventions that are shown on other artists albums within the metal genre. The most common conventions are:-

  • Gothic/ Old text.
  • Dark iconography such as skulls, pentagrams and blood.
  • Colours suck as black, dark green, red, dark purple.
  • Most has a very stylised design that is drawn.
  • In some modern cases an image of the band.
To help me get a visual on the conventions in metal album covers I made a collage of other metal band's album covers. This is helpful for making my own album cover as I can see the overall layout of the covers and see how the bands have branded themselves through the covers, which are important factors that should be included on my album cover.

 
 After looking at these covers I have decided that I would like to have a drawn elemnet in the cover and am going to stay with using darker colours such as black, dark green and grey.  However I would like to include a more natural design instead of a very industrial image as the theme of our song is annihilation and apocolypse.


No comments:

Post a Comment